Sunday, February 8, 2009

February 8-14, 2009


February 8-14, 2009
I occasionally try a recipe I find in the newspaper and sometimes I am pleased with the results. This recipe is flavorful because of the sweet pork sausage.
We have soup suppers at church during lent and I brought this soup a couple years ago. One of the women at church asked for the recipe because she really liked it and they were having a soup contest at work. It was a big hit and she was in a run off contest with another co-worker. I don't think she won but she had fun.

Tortellini soup

1 pound Italian sausage
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cans beef broth (13 ¾ ounce)
½ cup water
1 can peeled whole tomatoes, (28 ounce) cut up
1 can tomato sauce (15 ounce)
1 cup sliced carrots
½ t. dried basil
½ t dried oregano
1 t parsley flakes
1 cup sliced zucchini
1 package cheese tortellini (9 oz)
1 medium green pepper, chopped
Shredded parmesan cheese

Brown sausage in large pot then set aside sausage. Keep drippings in pot, and cook onions and garlic in drippings for 10 minutes. Add all ingredients down to and including the parsley flakes, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Stir in zucchini, tortellini and green pepper, and then cover and simmer another 20-25 minutes until tortellini is tender. Top servings with cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment