Sunday, February 1, 2009

February 1-7,2009


February 1-7, 2009
With the rest of the 17 pound ham I made, I decided to find a recipe that had a ham bone for flavor and this is what I found. It wasn't my favorite recipe but it was filled with vegetables and it was flavorful. I added the ham to the recipe since I wanted some protein too. The pesto I made from my garden basil last summer, but I love the parmesan cheese addition the most.


Minestrone

3 T olive oil
5 canned plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped, plus ½ cup of their juice
1 large onion, chopped
1 potato, peeled and diced
1 celery stalk sliced
¾ pound butternut squash, diced
1 T dried rosemary
3 T fresh parsley
1 large carrot, diced and peeled
1 pound green cabbage shredded
1 can pinto beans
3 quarts water
2 T. salt
Freshly ground pepper
½ pound green beans cut into 1 inch lengths
Ham bone
2 cups diced ham

Sauté the onions and celery in olive oil until soft in a large pot. Add the tomatoes, with their juice, potato, squash, rosemary carrot, cabbage, salt, pepper, water, and ham bone. Bring to boil and then simmer till vegetables are tender. Add the green beans, parsley, and diced ham until green beans are tender. Remove the ham bone. Serve with pesto or freshly grated parmesan cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment