Monday, January 12, 2009

January 11-17,2009


We are having a snow storm in the midwest and it is supposed to get really cold this week with below zero wind chills. Soup is the perfect food for coming in after shoveling the sidewalk. I tried a new recipe that I found but I changed a few ingredients. I love sweet potatoes so this Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup caught my eye.
Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup

2 T. unsalted butter
1 T. olive oil
1 red onion, diced
2 shallots thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
3 ribs celery, diced
6 garlic cloves, minced
8 cups chicken broth
4 cups shredded cooked chicken
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into ½ inch chunks
1 14 ½ ounce can chopped tomatoes
½ t red pepper flakes
1 t. dried marjoram
3 bay leaves
2 t. salt
1 t. black pepper
3 cups baby spinach

Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the oil. Add the onion and shallots. Saute for about 15 minutes or until soft. Add the bell pepper and celery and cook for another 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or two. Add the broth, chicken, sweet potatoes , tomatoes, red pepper flakes, dried marjoram, bay leaves, salt and pepper and stir until combined. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender. Add baby spinach and cook until wilted ( about 3- 5 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment